With digital infections growing in both volume and sophistication it is not always feasible to simply block a sender anymore.
OntheNet allows the use of a ‘Spam/Not Spam’ or ‘Junk/Not Junk’ system that will gradually train our scanners to better detect popular trends and deal with them efficiently.
How does it work?
Message is received. Various characteristics about the email are compared against other emails to determine if it is junk (spam) or not.
If the message is clean, it is moved to the Inbox. Otherwise, it is moved to Junk.
If a false positive occurs such as a legitimate email being detected as spam – the user can then decide if it is junk or not and then mark it as such by using the ‘Junk/Not Junk’ button.
The target message will be moved to the appropriate folder automatically and its characteristics used to train the email scanners.
Characteristics submitted do not initiate immediate changes but rather gradual changes that will improve and “train” the system over time. No personal information is contained within these characteristics.
How do I use it?
There are three ways to interact with this system which are explained below.
2. You will notice a button (shown below) in the webmail interface labelled ‘Junk’ or ‘Not Junk’ depending on which folder you are in.
3. A legitimate email marked as Junk may be corrected by pressing the ‘NOT JUNK’ button. This will move the email to the INBOX and submit its characteristics for assessment.
4. Alternatively, an email that is received which is Junk may be corrected by pressing the ‘JUNK’ button. This will move the email to the JUNK folder and will have its characteristics submitted for assessment.
Cloudmark DesktopOne is an award winning Spam, Phishing, and Virus Protection Suite created by Cloudmark Inc. and collaboratively works with the Cloudmark Security Platform which has been deployed across our core mail systems.
The DesktopOne software easily integrates into existing email platforms such as Microsoft Office, Mozilla Thunderbird and many others and works to filter out malicious emails that might endanger the OntheNet network and customer systems.
Cloudmark BASIC is free however it only supports one (1x) mailbox per OS. It works in both Windows and Mac.
1. Message is received. Various characteristics about the email are compared against other emails to determine if it is junk or not. 2. If the message is clean, it is moved to the Inbox. Otherwise, it is moved to Junk. 3. If a false positive occurs such as a legitimate email being detected as spam – the user can then decide if it is junk or not and then mark it as such by using the ‘Junk/Not Junk’ button. 4. The target message will be moved to the appropriate folder automatically and its characteristics submitted for gradual training of our systems.
Where can I get it?
Cloudmark DesktopOne is available in two flavours known as ‘Basic’ & ‘Pro’ which can be downloaded via the Cloudmark Website www.cloudmarkdesktop.com
Is it compatible with my system?
Supported Mail Clients:
Microsoft Windows Live Mail
Mail for Mac
Office for Mac
Version details: Outlook 2003/2007/2010/2013/2015, Windows Mail (Windows Vista), Outlook Express, Thunderbird 3.0 or higher (17 or higher for Mac), IMAP/POP, Outlook 2011 for Mac, Apple Mail. Supported versions of Outlook 2010/2013/2015: Office Home and Business/Professional (installed from a DVD/CD) 32-bit, 64-bit.
3. Begin the Configuration Wizard by clicking ‘NEXT’.
4. For basic usage simply click ‘NEXT’. Pro Users may use their activation code at this stage.
5. Select the account to filter. If an email client/account is already setup this should automatically appear (usually as the first option) and needs to be clicked to select. Then click ‘NEXT’.
6. In order to link Cloudmark with your account the email client will need to be closed. Then click ‘NEXT’.
7. The final screen of the wizard will confirm that your email account is now being monitored. Click ‘FINISHED’to complete the wizard portion of the setup.
8. Once the wizard closes, there will be a prompt to install the Outlook Email Add-in. Although it appears optional, the ‘YES’ button will need to be selected, in order to properly function.
9. You will then be presented with a final option to verify and install the add-in. Click ‘INSTALL’.
10. The Installer will complete and the process is finished by selecting ‘Close’.
11. Confirmation that the installation was a success can be verified by opening your email client. You should be presented with a screen similar to the one below. Make sure that the built-in Junk filter is disabled before proceeding to close this window because it will interfere. This is done by pressing the ‘please disable it’ link.
Using the Cloudmark Email Plugin
Once the add-in is properly installed, a new toolbar option should appear similar to the one below.
All actions can be performed and handled from here. As of 1.8 (126.96.36.199/188.8.131.52 Win 32) the menu is broken down as follows:
Upgrade to Pro
Enter Activation Code
Scan folder now…
Check for Updates
Throughout the use of this software intuitive help screens will appear educating the user on proper use.
This option allows for Junk and Non-Junk email to be submitted manually and is an alternative to using OntheNet Webmail or plugins. Characteristics submitted do not initiate immediate changes but rather gradual changes that will improve and “train” the system over time. No personal information is contained within these characteristics.
Junk and Non-Junk emails can be submitted manually for processing by forwarding the email as an attachment to one of two addresses: